Saturday, December 1, 2012

A Little Science= A Little Messy


Sometimes you just have to let your kids blow some stuff up.

The trick to letting your kids get messy is sneaking in those precious learning moments. That way, when you're cleaning up the disaster afterwards, you can calm yourself by knowing that at least this chaos has contributed to their vast amount of knowledge...or something like that. In this case, we had the opportunity to talk about reactions. 




(Please disregard Jake's shirt. I usually enforce a strict "no tank tops on boys especially ones with comic book characters" dress code, but my husband's mom dug up this little gem from his younger days and it makes me giggle when he wears it.)


If you're like me, the only thing you use vinegar for is to brighten the color of your Easter egg dye so you should have some left over from the spring. I honestly don't know what else it's used for. Seems like I've heard of old people cleaning with it or something...

Anyway, all you need to do this is some baking soda and vinegar, along with some glasses, spoons and some sort of tray to catch some of the mess. Fill your glasses about halfway with the vinegar. 




I added a few drops of food coloring to the spoons. Not necessary but I think the colors make it more fun. 


Now for the baking soda...
Hey, I never said it had to be neat :)

Now just have your kids drop the spoons in and stir!


It doesn't kill a lot of time, but have them experiment with adding more baking soda and more vinegar. Adding more vinegar will create some more fizz, though not as much as the original reaction. This was definitely a hit and they've already made me promise to let them do it again tomorrow :)


No comments:

Post a Comment