Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Best Playdoh



I'm one of those nerdy Pinterest moms. I have a different project for the kids to do just about every day. Making playdoh is a great cold/rainy day project that's quick to do and easy to clean up. This weekend, the kids were so excited about it, I actually got all of the laundry done...definitely a winner! This recipe is great. It yields a perfect amount and it has a really good non-crumbly texture. Plus, you know exactly what's in it so there's no panic when it inevitably gets ingested :) You'll definitely want to hang on to this!

Ingredients
1 cup of flour
1/4 cup of salt
1 cup of water
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
2 teaspoons of cream of tartar
Food coloring (I used neon)
Glitter (If you're feeling super awesome)
And, of course, a little helper (Or two. Or three.)



Have your little helper(s) dump your ingredients in a saucepan, including a few drops of food coloring and the glitter (if you chose to use it). Order doesn't matter. It's all going to get mixed together anyway.


Using a wooden spoon, stir your ingredients until combined, then place on burner at medium heat.


This is where mom takes over. DO NOT STOP STIRRING!!!! You'll see your dough start to thicken and get lumpier...


and lumpier...


Eventually, you'll have a big lump stuck to your spoon. You can stop stirring now :)


Plop it on the counter and knead by hand. (I love this part!)

Once it's cooled, it's ready to play with! I set my kids at the dining room table with a rolling pin and some cookie cutters and they were entertained for quite some time. 

I use this recipe for each color I make. It yields about 1 1/4 cups. To store, I roll it into a ball and wrap with cling wrap, then place in a container. Baby food containers work great but I'm sure a ziploc bag would be fine as well. 

Have fun!

2 comments:

  1. I've been using this recipe for years and realized I've never commented to let you know! It's the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe is the BEST! So quick and easy and a beautiful smooth tactile feel for the kids (and kids at heart).

    ReplyDelete